- Existence: 1800-1994
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research without restriction.
Conditions Governing Use
For permission to publish materials, contact:
Special Collections & Archives
Phone: (802) 443-2387
Biographical / Historical
From Middlebury College's founding in 1800, fundraising was the responsibility of the President and Fellows of Middelbury College.
The Development Program (later the Office of Development (1956-1994)), began in 1955 as the Committee of the Development Program, a trustee committee chaired by trustee Edwin S.S. Sunderland. At that time President Samuel S. Stratton recommended that the board create a full-time administrative position for fundraising, to meet the college's increasing fianacial needs. By March 1956, Middlebury hired Walter E. Brooker '39, as Director of the Development Program. He would later become Vice President of Development.
34.25 Linear Feet (63 document boxes, 11 half document boxes)
2.0 Linear Feet (Graphic Materials: 4 document boxes)
Language of Materials
- Middlebury Special Collections staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description