Scope and Contents
This collection provides a series of 43 letters written by Calvin Joseph Parker to his mother, Caroline Parker, during his time as a Union soldier in the Civil War. The letters date from 1862-1865 and cover his time in the 123rd Regiment of New York State Volunteers. He spent much of the first year and a half in Virginia and subsequently moved with his regiment to Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, and North Carolina. The correspondence contains some description of camp life and soldiering duties, but also reflects his concern for his mother and her financial situation.
Other series of letters in this collection include letters written to Carrie and Marietta Parker, sisters to Calvin J. Parker. Both sisters attended Saratoga Female Seminary and became close with the headmaster, Luther Beecher and his family. Luther Beecher was a nephew of preacher Lyman Beecher, who fathered several prominent ministers and writer Harriet Beecher Stowe. Neither sister married, and much of their correspondence reflects their concern with finding and maintaining suitable employment.
Several items relate to Calvin Luther Parker (father of CJP) in his capacity of postmaster of Hartford, NY and county treasurer. These include the letter appointing him postmaster, a letter to his wife from 1808, and papers relating to his duties as treasurer.
Other items in the collection include 4 portraits (2 drawn, 2 photographs), cards and newspaper clippings relevant to the events and families represented, and scrapbooks by John Earle Parker, Caroline Mason Burditt [Parker], and Elizabeth Burditt Parker. Of particular interest is the front page of the New York Herald from April 15, 1865 reporting President Lincoln’s assassination.
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1862 - 1890
- From the Collection: Parker, Calvin Joseph, 1844-1925 (Person)
- From the Collection: Parker, Caroline [Rugg], 1810-1886 (Person)
- From the Collection: Parker, Calvin Luther, 1xxx-1849 (Person)
- From the Collection: Parker, Carrie, 1841-1926 (Person)
- From the Collection: Parker, Marietta, 1842-1900 (Person)
- From the Collection: Parker, Marion [Percy], 184x-1912 (Person)
- From the Collection: Beecher, Luther F., 1813-1903 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research without restrictions.
From the Collection: 7 Boxes
Language of Materials