Biographical / Historical
The House in the Pines was a private secondary school for girls founded by Gertrude Ella Cornish Milliken (Middlebury College class of 1901). House in the Pines advertised extensive grounds and pine groves, athletic fields, horseback riding, swimming, gymnasium, language education, music, secretarial courses, domestic arts courses, and domestic science courses. Due to a lack of funding, the school was dissolved in 1972. Middlebury College accepted responsibility for the House in the Pines Association in 1972.
Gertrude Ella Cornish (1880-1969) was the daughter of Carlos H. and Ella J. (Bryant) Cornish. She was born in Worcester, Massachusetts, January 28, 1880. She attended Worcester Classical High School (entered 1897), taught science and mathematics in Castleton, VT, at the Normal School from 1901-1903, and at Wheaton Seminary, in Norton, Massachusetts, 1903-1908. She was a graduate student at Clark University from 1908-1911, and was the founder and principal of the House in the Pines school for girls in Norton, Massachusettes, 1911-1944. Cornish was the first female trustee at Middlebury College, serving from 1948-?. She married Joseph K. Milliken in 1935.