Skip to main content

Greek Societies

 Record Group
Identifier: S3

Dates

  • Existence: 1843-1990

Conditions Governing Access

Open for research without restriction.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish materials must be obtained in writing from:

Special Collections

Davis Family Library

Middlebury College

110 Storrs Avenue

Middlebury, VT 05753

Online: http://www.middlebury.edu/academics/lib/libcollections/collections/special:

Ask a Curator Phone: (802) 443-5501, or (802) 443-5634

Extent

11.0 Linear Feet (17 document boxes, 5 half document boxes, 1 square-end document box and 4 bound volumes)

1.5 Linear Feet (Photo Files: 1 document box, 2 flat oversize boxes)

Biographical / Historical

The tradition of Greek life at Middlebury began in 1843 with the founding of the Alpha Mu Chapter of Chi Psi. From the 1870s through 1941 fraternities dominated the Middlebury social structure and provided a place for socialization, eating, and studying. From 1965 onwards the administration attempted to abolish, limit, or deemphasize fraternities on campus. By a vote of the trustees the tradition of fraternity dining would come to an end in 1980. In January, 1990 the board voted that all fraternities must become coed or cease to exist by the end of the academic year. If the fraternities could receive permission from their national associations to become coed they could remain affiliated. While some fraternities threatened to go underground, most complied with the College's new policy and lost their recognition from their respective national organizations. The end of fraternities ushered in the system of Commons and Social Houses. Sororities, never seen as important on campus and never having houses like fraternities, were disbanded in 1969.

Repository Details

Part of the Middlebury College Special Collections & Archives Repository

Contact:
Middlebury College
Davis Family Library
110 Storrs Avenue
Middlebury Vermont 05753 United States